September 9, 2018
October 13, 2018
Alumni Day/Service of Remembrance
February 23, 2019
50th Reunion, 2019
May 30-June 2
51st Reunion, 2020
52nd Reunion, 2021
53rd Reunion, 2022
South Africa Sequel Itinerary
Princeton Class of 1969
South Africa Mini-Reunion
Sequel Itinerary: Garden Route and Amakhala Game Reserve
Thursday, March 1:
- 6:30 am: Early breakfast at Le Franschhoek Hotel and Spa. (Please have luggage ready before breakfast.)
- 7:00 am: Depart by motor coach to Oudtshoorn, via the engineering marvel of the Huguenot Tunnel; Robertson, in the shadow of the Langeberg Mountains; and Barrydale, in the starkly beautiful Tradouw Valley.
- 9:45 am: Refreshment stop in Barrydale at Diesel and Crème.
- 10:45 am: Depart Barrydale, en route to Oudtshoorn.
- 1:00 pm: Lunch at the Highgate Ostrich Farm and Pepper Tree Restaurant. Tour the farm, where the truly brave (and/or foolhardy) may have the opportunity to ride an ostrich.
- 3:00 pm: Back on the motor coach.
- 4:00 pm: Heritage Tour of the Cango Caves, a 20-million-year-old series of chambers cut into Precambrian limestone and one of South Africa’s most popular sites to visit.
- 5:15 pm: Depart Cango Caves.
- 5:45 pm: Arrive in the Little Karoo town of Oudtshoorn, the ostrich capital of the world made famous during the “Feather Boom” of the early 1900’s. Check into your own thatched-roof chalet or rondawel at the Protea Hotel Riempies. 044-272-6161.
- 8:00 pm: Dinner at Jemima’s Restaurant.
Friday, March 2:
- 7:00 am: Breakfast at the hotel.
- 8:15 am: Depart Hotel Riempies.
- 8:30 am: Visit Cango Wildlife Ranch, the oldest and largest cheetah contact centre in the world, where we might also tune every heart and every voice in the presence of a Bengal tiger.
- 9:45 am: Back on the motor coach, heading toward Tsitsikamma via the Outeniqua Pass and Plettenberg Bay.
- 11:30 am: Refreshment stop at Timberlake Organic Village.
- 11:45 am: Journey to Tsitsikamma continues.
- 1:30 pm: Al fresco lunch at the ever-popular Lookout Deck at Plettenberg Bay. Walk on the beach and put your feet in the Indian Ocean.
- 3:00 pm: Depart for Tsitsikamma.
- 4:30 pm: Arrive at Tsitsikamma Village. Because of the size of our group, we have reservations at three separate inns, all within easy walking distance of one another. (Room allocations to be decided à la Princeton room draw or some other semi-democratic method.)
- The Tsitsikamma Village Inn (11 rooms). 042-281-1711
- Swallow’s Nest Country Cottages (5 rooms). 042-281-1701
- The Woods Guest House (4 rooms). 042-281-1446
- 7:30 pm: Dinner at De Oude Martha Restaurant.
Saturday, March 3:
- 7:00 am: Breakfast at your inn.
- 8:00 am: Leave for Tsitsikamma National Park and the Storms River Mouth. Walk on the rocky beach amid crashing waves or along a wooded path to the swinging bridge over the dramatic river mouth. (Not for anyone with vertigo!)
- 10:00 am: Depart Storms River.
- 10:30 am: Quick stop at Oudebosch Farm Stall.
- 1:00 pm: Arrive at Amakhala Game Reserve and check into your lodge, either:
- Safari Lodge (11 rooms). 046-636-2750, or
- Hlosi Game Lodge (9 rooms). 042-235-1133
- Lunch upon arrival.
- 2:00 pm: Check-in time at your lodge. At leisure until…
- 4:00 pm: Afternoon game drive in open Land Rovers, with sundowners in the reserve.
- 7:30 pm: Drinks and dinner at your lodge. (Times approximate.)
Sunday, March 4:
- Crack of dawn: Wake up call for tea, coffee and rusks.
- 5:30 am: Early morning game drive. (Dress in layers: cold at first but warms up quickly!) More coffee and tea in the bush.
- 8:30 – 9:00 am: Return to lodge for full breakfast.
- 9:00 am – 1:00 pm: For the energetic, take a guided game walk after breakfast (subject to ranger availability); otherwise, lounge in luxury at the lodge, in the pool, or in your own chalet.
- 4:00 pm: Second afternoon game drive.
- 7:30 pm: Drinks and dinner at your lodge.
Monday, March 5:
- 5:00 am: Early morning wake-up call for optimal game viewing. Coffee, tea and rusks.
- 5:30 am: Second morning game drive.
- 8:30 – 9:00 am: Full breakfast at lodge.
- 10:00 am: Fond farewells. Travel by motor coach to Port Elizabeth Airport for your onward or home-bound flights.
- Plan to get together again at our 50th!